The Online Occupancy Survey
From January 2023, the Occupancy Survey moved to an online methodology. In previous years the survey was based on postal and email returns however the new methodology aims to collect data in a more environmentally conscious and user-friendly way.
Further information and guidance on how to complete the online survey on the online Occupancy Survey can be found here The Online Occupancy Survey
Tourism data is derived from a variety of sources. The COVID-19 pandemic has had significant effect on these sources. The COVID-19 and the production of statistics page details the effect on NISRA statistics overall and the Impact of COVID-19 on Northern Ireland tourism statistics addresses specific issues with sources normally used in tourism publications. NISRA will continue to publish as much data as possible and will explore other indicators if the original source is affected. In absence of our regular publication we will produce an alternative source publication containing a wide range of tourism related statistics produced by both NISRA and other sources at Northern Ireland alternative source statistics up to 7 October 2021
Response rates to these occupancy surveys can be low. Collection methods for the estimated number of visits in the Visitor Attraction Survey differ - more information can be found in the Visitor Attraction Survey satellite report.
Results from these surveys are classed as Official Statistics and do not have National Statistics Status, further information on Official Statistics can be found on the NISRA website
Northern Ireland visitor attraction survey
The latest annual visitor attraction survey publications can be accessed below.
- 2022 Northern Ireland visitor attraction statistics
- 2021 Northern Ireland visitor attraction statistics
- 2020 Northern Ireland visitor attraction statistics
Small Service Accommodation occupancy survey
The latest annual Northern Ireland Small service (formerly guesthouse, bed & breakfast and guest accommodation) occupancy statistics can be accessed below.
- 2022 Northern Ireland small service accommodation occupancy publication
- 2021 Northern Ireland small service accommodation occupancy
- 2020 Northern Ireland annual guesthouse, bed & breakfast and guest accommodation occupancy
The latest monthly guesthouse, bed & breakfast and guest accommodation occupancy statistics can be accessed below.
- September 2023 Small Service Accommodation occupancy (to be published 9 October 2023 at 9.30am)
- August 2023 Small Service Accommodation occupancy
Tourism statistics branch also publish statistics on Northern Ireland hotel occupancy. These statistics can be accessed below.
Self catering occupancy survey
The latest annual Northern Ireland Self Catering Occupancy Survey
The latest annual self catering occupancy survey publication including additional tables can be accessed below.
- 2022 Northern Ireland self catering occupancy survey
- 2021 Northern Ireland self catering occupancy survey
- 2020 Northern Ireland self catering occupancy survey
Self catering survey form
Please find below a downloadable version of the self catering survey form.
- Tourism statistics publication schedule
- Tourism statistics early indicators
- Tourism statistics archive publications
More information on data quality can be found at
More information on the quality of administrative sources can be found at
You can be kept up to date by joining our mailing list which can be done here