Economic Overview - Dashboard
Economic Overview - Dashboard (online - opens in a new tab)
A PDF version of the dashboard and the associated data are available at this Economic Overview - Dashboard publication page.
Economy & Labour Market - A summary of key statistics
This slide pack provides a high-level statistical summary of the Northern Ireland economy and labour market and should be considered in conjunction with the detailed supporting information and commentary that can be accessed via the various links and associated sources that have been highlighted. NI Economy & Labour Market - A summary of key statistics.
Latest Labour Market Report
The next Northern Ireland Labour Market Report is due to be published on 16th November 2021
At a glance
Labour Force Survey
- The unemployment rate (16+) for the period June-August 2021 was estimated at 4.1%
- The seasonally adjusted economic inactivity rate (16-64) for June-August 2021 was estimated at 25.8%
Claimant Count (experimental)
- NI claimant count (experimental) decreased over the month to 47,900
- In September 2021, 4.9% of the NI workforce were recorded on the claimant count
- 130 redundancies were confirmed in September 2021
- Over the last twelve month period 4,310 redundancies were proposed
Quarterly Employment Survey
- The number of employee jobs in June 2021 was estimated 771,680
Business Register and Employment Survey
- The total number of employee jobs in Northern Ireland in September 2020 was 779,053, a decrease of 6,817 jobs (-0.9%) since September 2019.
Inter Departmental Business Register
- The number of VAT and/or PAYE registered businesses operating in Northern Ireland in 2021 is estimated to have risen by 1,550 (2.0%) since 2020 to 77,640. This marked the seventh consecutive year of increase following a period of decline from 2008 to 2014, and is the highest annual increase since 2018.
NI Composite Economic Index
- The NICEI indicates that economic output increased by 3.1% over the quarter to June 2021
Index of Services
- Services ouput in NI saw a quarterly increase of 5.5% in Quarter 2 2021 and an increase of 29.2% over the year.
Index of Production
- The NI IOP increased by 1.1% over the quarter (April - June) and increased by 27.6% over the year.
Northern Ireland Broad Economy Sales and Exports Statistics (BESES)
- Total sales by companies in Northern Ireland (NI) were estimated to be worth £71.9 billion in 2019, an increase of 4.6% (£3.2 billion) over the calendar year.
Index of Construction
- The total volume of construction output in the second quarter of 2021 increased by 0.6% over the quarter
Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings
- Median gross weekly earnings for full-time employees in April 2020 decreased by 1% from £535 in 2019 to £529 in 2020; the first annual decrease in weekly earnings since 2014 and the largest decrease on record.