Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) we anticipate that there will be some changes in terms of our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information.
Latest results - published 16th July 2020
- The total volume of construction output in the first quarter of 2020 decreased by 1.0% compared with Q4 2019, was 3.3% lower than the same quarter in 2019 and 2.4% lower on a rolling four quarter basis.
- Since the series high in Q4 2006 the total volume of construction output began to fall. While the total volume of construction output in NI has been on an upward trend since Q4 2013, recent quarters have shown signs of levelling off, with decreases in 3 of the last 5 quarters.
- The decrease in overall output in Q1 2020 from the previous quarter was driven by a 10.0% decrease in Repair and Maintenance and offset by a 1.1% increase in New Work.
- In Q1 2020, the decrease within Repair and Maintenance means that levels are now at the lowest since Q4 2012.
- In Q1 2020, there were increases in Housing (7.4%) and Infrastructure (2.8%) and a decrease in Other Work (-8.0%) compared with the previous quarter.
- This release captures the first direct effects of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on the NI economy. The first government advice on social distancing was published on 12 March 2020, before a formal “lockdown” was announced on 23 March 2020. As this release covers the period January - March 2020, the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the economy is only partially reflected in these estimates.
Current publication and tables
Notices of change
- Revision Notice - Data Smoothing Q2 2017
- Information Notice - Delay in Publication Q2 2017
- Methodological notice - Change of base year
- Revision notice - New Work and R&M series
- Historical Data
- Information for participants
- Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch
The next Northern Ireland Construction Bulletin will be published on 8th October 2020. This will cover the period of 1st April to 30th June 2020. Full publication schedule
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.