The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 8 September 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 8 September 2023 (week 36) was 332, 104 more than the previous week, and 17 more than the 2018-2022 5-year average (315).
- 12 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 36 of 2023, seven more than the previous week. These represented 3.6% of all deaths registered in that week.
- For 2023, by 8 September, 49.7% of deaths were males and 50.3% were females. Approximately two-thirds (67.3%) of deaths were in the 75 years and over age group.
- From week 1 of 2023 to week ending 8 September, there have been 11,871 deaths. 5,639 (47.5%) took place in hospital 2,044 (17.2%) in care homes and 4,188 (35.3%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
Date of death
- The provisional number of deaths occurring in the week ending 8 September (including those registered up to and including 13 September 2023) was 225.
- At time of reporting, six Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in the week ending 8 September, bringing the total number of deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate having occurred from week 1 of 2023 to 8 September 2023 (including those registered up to and including 13 September 2023), to 326.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage.
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Winter Mortality in Northern Ireland 2022/23 07 December 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 24 November 2023 01 December 2023