The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 3 February 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 3 February 2023 (week 5) was 368, 25 less than the previous week and four more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (365).
- Eleven deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 5 of 2023, 15 less than the previous week. These represented 3.0% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,143 by 3 February 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 3 February 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,151 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 3 February 2023 (including those registered up to and including 8 February 2023).
- At time of reporting, nine Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 3 February.
- Of these 5,151 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,601 (69.9%) took place in hospital, 1,060 (20.6%) in care homes and 490 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 24 March 2023 31 March 2023
- Baby Names 2022 27 March 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 17 March 2023 24 March 2023
- Working and Workless Households in Northern Ireland: October-December 2022 21 March 2023