The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 17 March 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- Please note that week 11 included a bank holiday, where registration offices were closed on Friday 17 March 2023. This may have impacted the number of death registrations taking place.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 17 March 2023 (week 11) was 239, 95 less than the previous week and 50 less than the 2018-2022 5-year average (289).
- Four deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 11 of 2023, four less than the previous week. These represented 1.7% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,201 by 17 March 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 17 March 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,203 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 17 March 2023 (including those registered up to and including 22 March 2023).
- At time of reporting, four Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 17 March.
- Of these 5,203 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,643 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,067 (20.5%) in care homes and 493 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Census 2021 update 31 May 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 19 May 2023 26 May 2023
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): January to March 2023 25 May 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 1 23 May 2023