The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 14 April 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- Please note that week 15 included two bank holidays, where registration offices were closed on Monday 10 and Tuesday 11 April 2023. This may have impacted the number of death registrations taking place.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 14 April 2023 (week 15) was 245, 95 less than the previous week and 84 less than the 2018-2022 5-year average (329).
- Nine deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 15 of 2023, three less than the previous week. These represented 3.7% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,241 by 14 April 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 14 April 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,242 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 14 April 2023 (including those registered up to and including 19 April 2023).
- At time of reporting, five Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 14 April.
- Of these 5,242 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,677 (70.1%) took place in hospital, 1,070 (20.4%) in care homes and 495 (9.4%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Census 2021 update 31 May 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 19 May 2023 26 May 2023
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): January to March 2023 25 May 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 1 23 May 2023