The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 7 January 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 7 January 2022 (week 1) was 416, 173 more than the previous week (243) and 30 less than the 2017-2021 5 year average (446).
- Twenty-nine deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 1 of 2022, accounting for 7.0% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of 15 from the previous week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,042 by 7 January 2022.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 7 January 2022, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%), however, males accounted for a higher proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.2%; female 46.8%). (Figure 3).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 7 January 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.1%) of all deaths and three-quarters (73.3%) of Covid-19 related deaths .
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,060 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 7 January 2022 (including those registered up to and including 12 January). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 7 January was 3,006.
- At time of reporting, 26 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 7 January.
- Of these 4,060 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,836 (69.9%) occurred in hospital, 871 (21.5%) occurred in care homes, 16 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 337 (8.3%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 14 January 2022
- Construction Output Statistics: Q3-2021 13 January 2022
- Working and workless households in NI: July to September 2021 11 January 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 31 December 2021 07 January 2022