The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 5 February 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 5 February 2021 (week 5) was 462, 25 more than in week 4 of 2021 (437) and 125 more than the 5 year average (337).
- 126 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 5 of 2021, accounting for 27.3% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,574 by 5 February 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 5 February 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.8%, females: 50.2%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.3%; female 49.7%).
- From 19 March 2020 (the start of the pandemic) to 5 February 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.8%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (77.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Antrim & Newtownabbey, and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (9.9% and 7.7% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in NI (8.3% and 6.4% respectively).
Date of Death
- 2,614 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 5 February 2021 (including those registered up to and including 10 February). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 5 February was 1,923 .
- 103 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 5 February. This is the third consecutive fall in the occurrence based series since the recent peak of 177 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15 January.
- Of these 2,614 deaths involving Covid-19 1,676 (64.1%) occurred in hospital3, 737 (28.2%) occurred in care homes, 13 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 188 (7.2%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 750 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 174 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths registrations in Northern Ireland webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 17 June 2022 24 June 2022
- Public Prosecution Service (PPS) publishes 2021-22 statistical bulletin 23 June 2022
- Labour Market Statistics Newsletter - June 2022 17 June 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 June 2022 17 June 2022