The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 19 February 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 19th February 2021 (week 7) was 352, 30 less than the previous week (382) and 41 more than the 5 year average (311).
- 78 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 7 of 2021, accounting for 22.2% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,751 by 19th February 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19th March 2020) to 19th February 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.8%, females: 50.2%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.7%; female 49.3%).
- From 19th March 2020 (the start of the pandemic) to 19th February 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.7%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon, Antrim & Newtownabbey, and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (11.8%, 9.7% and 7.9% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4%, 8.3% and 6.4% respectively).
Date of Death
- 2,768 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18th March 2020 to 19th February 2021 (including those registered up to and including 24th February). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 19th February2 was 2,026 (see page 14 of the bulletin for definitions).
- 61 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 19th February. This is the fifth consecutive fall in the occurrence based series since the recent peak of 178 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15th January.
- Of these 2,768 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,802 (65.1%) occurred in hospital, 753 (27.2%) occurred in care homes, 13 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 200 (7.2%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 766 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 176 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths registrations in Northern Ireland webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 2 April 2021 09 April 2021
- Construction Output Statistics: Q4-2020 08 April 2021
- NI Composite Economic Index Q4 2020 08 April 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 26 March 2021 02 April 2021