The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 19 August 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 19 August 2022 (week 33) was 320, 19 more than the previous week and 25 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (295).
- Thirteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 33 of 2022, three less than the previous week. These represented for 4.1% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,822 by 19 August 2022.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 19 August 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.2%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 7.8% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,826 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 19 August 2022 (including those registered up to and including 24 August).
- At time of reporting, nine Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 19 August.
- Of these 4,826 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,367 (69.8%) took place in hospital, 1,003 (20.8%) in care homes and 456 (9.4%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 16 September 2022 23 September 2022
- Census 2021 update 22 September 2022
- Annual Report of the Registrar General (2021) 21 September 2022
- NISRA publications - update 15 September 2022