The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 12 November 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 12 November 2021 (week 45) was 403, 32 more than the previous week (371) and 83 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (320).
- Sixty-two deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 45 of 2021, accounting for 15.4% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of three from the previous week. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,762 by 12 November 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 12 November 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.3%, females: 49.7%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.1%; female 46.9%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 12 November 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.9%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.0%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3% and 8.1% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,782 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 12 November 2021 (including those registered up to and including 17 November). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 12 November was 2,788.
- Forty-nine Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 12 November.
- Of these 3,782 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,605 (68.9%) occurred in hospital, 860 (22.7%) occurred in care homes, 15 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 302 (8.0%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 23 September 2022 30 September 2022
- Construction Output Statistics - Q2 - 2022 29 September 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 16 September 2022 23 September 2022
- Census 2021 update 22 September 2022