The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 12 February 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 12 February 2021 (week 6) was 382, 80 less than in week 5 of 2021 (462) and 50 more than the 5 year average (332).
- 99 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 6 of 2021, accounting for 25.9% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,673 by 12 February 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 12 February 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.9%, females: 50.1%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.5%; female 49.5%).
- From 19 March 2020 (the start of the pandemic) to 12 February 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.7%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.9%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon, Antrim & Newtownabbey, and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (11.6%, 9.7% and 7.7% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%, 8.3% and 6.4% respectively).
Date of Death
- 2,691 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 12 February 2021 (including those registered up to and including 17 February). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 12 February was 1,985 (see page 14 of the bulletin for definitions).
- 68 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 12 February. This is the fourth consecutive fall in the occurrence based series since the recent peak of 177 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15th January.
- Of these 2,691 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,736 (64.5%) occurred in hospital, 747 (27.8%) occurred in care homes, 13 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 195 (7.2%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 760 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 175 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths registrations in Northern Ireland webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covid-19 Deaths, March 2020 to January 2021 25 February 2021
- Labour Market Report February 2021 23 February 2021
- 19 February 2021
- NISRA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Opinion Survey Phases 1 to 8 Results 18 February 2021