The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 1 July 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 1 July 2022 (week 26) was 347, 25 more than the previous week and 65 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (282).
- Nineteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 26 of 2022, nine more than the previous week. These represented for 5.5% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,674 by 1 July 2022.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 1 July 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.2%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.9%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3% and 8.0% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,684 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 1 July 2022 (including those registered up to and including 6 July).
- At time of reporting, 20 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 1 July.
- Of these 4,684 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,263 (69.7%) took place in hospital, 986 (21.1%) in care homes and 435 (9.3%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Census 2021 update 31 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 20 January 2023 27 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 13 January 2023 20 January 2023
- Labour Market Report January 2023 17 January 2023