The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 9 December 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 9 December 2022 (week 49) was 360, 22 more than the previous week and 15 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (345).
- Fourteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 49 of 2022, staying the same as the previous week. These represented for 3.9% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,997 by 9 December 2022.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 9 December 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.4%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,001 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 9 December 2022 (including those registered up to and including 14 December).
- At time of reporting, 12 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 9 December.
- Of these 5,001 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,488 (69.7%) took place in hospital, 1,032 (20.6%) in care homes and 477 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
Publication Plans over the Christmas Period:
- On 30 December 2022, tables will be released as normal, but there will be no summary dashboard.
- On 6 January 2023, there will be no weekly deaths release.
- Weekly death releases will return to normal on 13 January 2023.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 27 January 2023 03 February 2023
- Census 2021 update 31 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 20 January 2023 27 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 13 January 2023 20 January 2023