The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 28 April 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 28 April 2023 (week 17) was 339, six less than the previous week and seven less than the 2018-2022 5-year average (346).
- Fourteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 17 of 2023, six more than the previous week. These represented 4.1% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,263 by 28 April 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 28 April 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.7%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,266 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 28 April 2023 (including those registered up to and including 3 May 2023).
- At time of reporting, nine Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 28 April.
- Of these 5,266 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,696 (70.2%) took place in hospital, 1,073 (20.4%) in care homes and 497 (9.4%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Census 2021 update 31 May 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 19 May 2023 26 May 2023
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): January to March 2023 25 May 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 1 23 May 2023