The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 24 March 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- Please note that the number of death registrations taking place in week 12 may have been impacted by the bank holiday on Friday 17 March 2023.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 24 March 2023 (week 12) was 368, 129 more than the previous week and 51 more than the 2018-2022 5-year average (317).
- Four deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 12 of 2023, staying the same as the previous week. These represented 1.1% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,205 by 24 March 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 24 March 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,213 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 24 March 2023 (including those registered up to and including 29 March 2023).
- At time of reporting, four Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 24 March.
- Of these 5,213 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,651 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,069 (20.5%) in care homes and 493 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 1 December 2023 08 December 2023
- Winter Mortality in Northern Ireland 2022/23 07 December 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023