The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 23 December 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 23 December 2022 (week 51) was 411, 51 more than the previous week and 151 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (280). Please note that the 5 year average for weeks 51 and 52 can be impacted in certain years by the Christmas public holidays when registration offices are closed.
- Twenty-one deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 51 of 2022, 14 more than the previous week. These represented 5.1% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,025 by 23 December 2022.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 23 December 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.3%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.2%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,029 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 23 December 2022 (including those registered up to and including 28 December).
- At time of reporting, 15 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 23 December.
- Of these 5,029 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,515 (69.9%) took place in hospital, 1,034 (20.6%) in care homes and 480 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
Publication Plans over the Christmas Period:
- On 30 December 2022, tables will be released as normal, but there will be no summary dashboard.
- On 6 January 2023, there will be no weekly deaths release.
Weekly death releases will return to normal on 13 January 2023.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 27 January 2023 03 February 2023
- Census 2021 update 31 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 20 January 2023 27 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 13 January 2023 20 January 2023