The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 22 September 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 22 September 2023 (week 38) was 338, nine more than the previous week, and 29 more than the 2018-2022 5-year average (309).
- 14 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 38 of 2023, two more than the previous week. These represented 4.1% of all deaths registered in that week.
- For 2023, by 22 September, 49.6% of deaths were males and 50.4% were females. Approximately two-thirds (67.2%) of deaths were in the 75 years and over age group.
- From week 1 of 2023 to week ending 22 September, there have been 12,538 deaths registered. 5,940 (47.4%) of these took place in hospital 2,163 (17.3%) in care homes and 4,435 (35.4%) at residential addresses, hospices, or other locations.
Date of death
- The provisional number of deaths occurring in the week ending 22 September (including those registered up to and including 27 September 2023) was 253.
- At time of reporting, 11 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in the week ending 22 September, bringing the total number of deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate having occurred from week 1 of 2023 to 22 September 2023 (including those registered up to and including 27 September 2023), to 350.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage.
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Winter Mortality in Northern Ireland 2022/23 07 December 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 24 November 2023 01 December 2023