The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 13 January 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 13 January 2023 (week 2) was 515, 41 more than the previous week and 95 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (420).
- Thirty-six deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 2 of 2023, 17 more than the previous week. These represented 7.0% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,089 by 13 January 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 13 January 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.5%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.9%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,096 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 13 January 2023 (including those registered up to and including 18 January 2023).
- At time of reporting, 16 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 13 January.
- Of these 5,096 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,566 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,045 (20.5%) in care homes and 485 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 17 March 2023 24 March 2023
- Working and Workless Households in Northern Ireland: October-December 2022 21 March 2023
- Census 2021 update 21 March 2023
- Weekly Deaths Tables, Week Ending 10 March 2023 16 March 2023