The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 26 March 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Please note, due to the impact of the Easter holiday period on data collation times the next release on 9 April, covering the week ending 2nd April, will consist of tables and Statistical Press Release only.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 26 March 2021 (week 12) was 307, 54 more than the previous week (253) and 8 less than the 5 year average (315).
- 19 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 12 of 2021, accounting for 6.2% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,905 by 26 March 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 26 March 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.8%, females: 50.2%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.1%; female 48.9%).
- Over the year to 26 March 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.4%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.4% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 2,908 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 26 March 2021 (including those registered up to and including 31 March). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 26 March was 2,108.
- 13 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 26 March, a decrease of 2 deaths from the previous week. This is the second consecutive week of decline in the occurrence based series since the week ending the 12 March, which ended the seven week streak of declines since the peak of 178 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15 January.
- Of these 2,908 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,910 (65.7%) occurred in hospital, 770 (26.5%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 214 (7.4%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 784 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 177 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the latest weekly deaths bulletin webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Latest NISRA Vacancies - Survey Interviewers 28 September 2021
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 17 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 September 2021 17 September 2021
- Labour Market Report September 2021 14 September 2021