The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 26 February 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 26 February 2021 (week 8) was 351, 1 less than the previous week (352) and 2 more than the 5 year average (349) (Table 1).
- 55 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 8 of 2021, accounting for 15.7% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,806 by 26 February 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 26 February 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.9%, females: 50.1%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.8%; female 49.2%).
- From 19 March 2020 (the start of the pandemic) to 26 February 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.8%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.7%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 7.9% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.4% respectively).
Date of Death
- 2,816 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 26 February 2021 (including those registered up to and including 3 March). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 26 February was 2,054 (see page 16 of the bulletin for definitions).
- 44 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 26 February. This is the sixth consecutive fall in the occurrence based series since the recent peak of 178 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15 January.
- Of these 2,816 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,837 (65.2%) occurred in hospital, 760 (27.0%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 205 (7.3%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 774 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 177 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths registrations in Northern Ireland webpage.
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 September 2021 17 September 2021
- Labour Market Report September 2021 14 September 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 3 September 2021 10 September 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 27 August 2021 03 September 2021