The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 25 February 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 25 February 2022 (week 8) was 327, eight more than the previous week (319) and eight fewer than the 2017-2021 5 year average (335).
- Thirty-three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 8 of 2022, accounting for 10.1% of all deaths registered in that week. This is two more deaths than were registered the previous week (31).
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,300 by 25 February 2022.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 25 February 2022, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, males accounted for a higher proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.1%; female: 46.9%). (Figure 3).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 25 February 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.3%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,318 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 25 February 2022 (including those registered up to and including 2 March). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 25 February was 3,205.
- At time of reporting, 38 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 25 February.
- Of these 4,318 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,007 (69.6%) occurred in hospital, 926 (21.4%) occurred in care home, and 385 (8.9%) occurred at residential addresses, hospices or another locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 13 May 2022 20 May 2022
- Labour Market Report May 2022 17 May 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 6 May 2022 13 May 2022
- NISRA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Opinion Survey January – March 2022 Results 12 May 2022