The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 20 May 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 20 May 2022 (week 20) was 312, 10 fewer than the previous week (322) and five more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (307).
- Fifteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 20 of 2022, one less than the previous week. These represented for 4.8% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,611 by 20 May 2022.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 20 May 2022, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%), however, males accounted for a higher proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.1%; female: 46.9%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 20 May 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.3%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.0% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,618 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 20 May 2022 (including those registered up to and including 25 May).
- At time of reporting, 14 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 20 May.
- Of these 4,618 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,212 (69.6%) occurred in hospital, 981 (21.2%) occurred in care homes, and 425 (9.2%) occurred at residential addresses, .hospices or another locations
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 17 June 2022 24 June 2022
- Public Prosecution Service (PPS) publishes 2021-22 statistical bulletin 23 June 2022
- Labour Market Statistics Newsletter - June 2022 17 June 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 June 2022 17 June 2022