The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 17 September 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 17 September 2021 (week 37) was 374, three less than the previous week (377) and 92 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (282).
- Sixty-three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 37 of 2021, accounting for 16.8% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of two from the previous week. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,370 by 17 September 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 17 September 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.2%; female 47.8%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 17 September 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.9%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,394 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 17 September 2021 (including those registered up to and including 22 September). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 17 September was 2,499.
- Fifty-nine Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 17 September, an increase of five from the previous week.
- Of these 3,394 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,300 (67.8%) occurred in hospital3, 827 (24.4%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 253 (7.5%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 15 October 2021 22 October 2021
- Annual Report of the Registrar General (2020) 21 October 2021
- Qualifications in Northern Ireland 2020 21 October 2021
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 8 October 2021 15 October 2021