The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 16 September 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 16 September 2022 (week 37) was 333, 19 more than the previous week and 35 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (298).
- Six deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 37 of 2022, three fewer than the previous week. These represented for 1.8% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,854 by 16 September 2022.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 16 September 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.2%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.8%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 7.8% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,857 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 16 September 2022 (including those registered up to and including 21 September).
- At time of reporting, four Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 16 September.
- Of these 4,857 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,390 (69.8%) took place in hospital, 1,007 (20.7%) in care homes and 460 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage.
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 25 November 2022 02 December 2022
- PPS publishes latest statistical bulletin on cases involving sexual offences 01 December 2022
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 18 November 2022 25 November 2022
- Drug-related and drug-misuse deaths in Northern Ireland, 2011-2021 24 November 2022