The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 10 December 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 10 December 2021 (week 49) was 368, 10 less than the previous week (378) and 32 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (336).
- Thirty-nine deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 49 of 2021, accounting for 10.6% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of 10 from the previous week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,937 by 10 December 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 10 December 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, males accounted for a higher proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.2%; female 46.8%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 10 December 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.9%) of all deaths and three-quarters (73.7%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,950 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 10 December 2021 (including those registered up to and including 15 December). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 10 December was 2,921 (see page 16 for definitions).
- Twenty-eight Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 10 December.
- Of these 3,950 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,748 (69.6%) occurred in hospital3, 864 (21.9%) occurred in care homes, 15 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 323 (8.2%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Labour Market Report August 2022 16 August 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 5 August 2022 12 August 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 29 July 2022 05 August 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 22 July 2022 29 July 2022