The Labour Force Survey latest results published 21st January 2020
- The latest NI seasonally adjusted unemployment rate (the proportion of economically active people aged 16+ who were unemployed) for the period September-November 2019 was estimated from the Labour Force Survey at 2.3%. The unemployment rate decreased over the quarter by 0.6 percentage points (pps) and decreased by 1.2pps over the year. The quarterly and annual changes in the unemployment rate were statistically significant, i.e. the recorded changes exceeded the variability expected from a sample survey of this size and were likely to reflect real change.
- The NI unemployment rate (2.3%) was below the UK rate (3.8%), the European Union (6.3%) rate for October 2019 and the Republic of Ireland (4.8%) rate for November 2019.
- The proportion of people aged 16 to 64 in work (the employment rate) increased over the quarter by 1.1pps and increased over the year by 2.7pps to 72.6%. The annual change in the employment rate was statistically significant, i.e. the recorded change exceeded the variability expected from a sample survey of this size and was likely to reflect real change.
- The economic inactivity rate (the proportion of people aged from 16 to 64 who were not working and not seeking or available to work) decreased over the quarter by 0.7pps and decreased over the year by 1.9pps to 25.7%. Although recent changes were not statistically significant, the economic inactivity rate was significantly below rates in early 2018.
Labour Market Report
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Monthly
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Quarterly
- Labour Force Survey time series
- Work Quality tables - April 2019
- Tables from the Quarterly Supplement
- Tables from the Annual Report 2018
- Draft PfG
- Labour Force Survey Annual Report 2018
- Quarterly Supplement April-June 2018
- Women in Northern Ireland 2018
- Historical series 1984-1991
- Labour Market Reports - Historical
- Quarterly Supplement to the Labour Market Report - Historical
- Labour Force Survey Women in Northern Ireland - Historical
- Local Area Database - Historical
- Annual Report - Historical
User requested data
Labour market statistics are published regularly throughout the year. We also produce bespoke tables if users request data that are not already available.
A list of published bespoke tables is available from the User requested data page
ELMS publication schedule
Upcoming publication dates from the Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch, including all Labour Force Survey publications, can be found here.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.