Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), changes have been made to our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information. From April all LFS interviews were conducted by telephone and the Labour Market Report has been published on the NISRA website at 7am, a change from the standard 9.30am release time.
The latest results from the Labour Force Survey, published 20th April 2021.
- The latest NI seasonally adjusted unemployment rate (the proportion of economically active people aged 16+ who were unemployed) for the period December-February 2021 was estimated from the Labour Force Survey at 3.7%. The unemployment rate increased by 0.5 percentage points (pps) over the quarter and by 2pps over the year. The annual change was statistically significant.
- The proportion of people aged 16 to 64 in work (the employment rate) decreased over the quarter and the year by 1.6pps and by 3.5pps respectively to 69.0%. The annual change was statistically significant.
- The economic inactivity rate (the proportion of people aged 16 to 64 who were not working and not seeking or available to work) increased over the quarter by 1.3pps and over the year by 2.7pps to 28.3%. The annual change was statistically significant.
- Put into the context of the UK, NI had the second lowest unemployment rate, the lowest employment rate and the highest economic inactivity rate of all the UK regions.
Labour Market Report
Monthly tables are published along with the Labour Market Report. They include headline estimates for employment, unemployment and economic inactivity (seasonally adjusted and unadjusted), labour market status by age, reasons for inactivity, employment categories, hours of work and international comparisons.
Quarterly tables include information on graduates, education and training, disability and the labour market, NEET and working and workless households.
The monthly labour market tables in a historical series
Tables published with the annual report in 2020 relating to 2019 data also includes tables for ODP indicators 14, 16, 17, 32, 33 and 34.
Tables relating to ODP indicators 14, 16, 17, 32, 33 and 34
- Labour Force Survey Annual Report 2019
- Underemployment in Northern Ireland
- Labour Force Survey - Women in Northern Ireland 2020
- Self-employment in Northern Ireland 2019
- Economic Inactivity in Northern Ireland 2018
- Labour Force Survey Topic Papers
- Employment and hours worked
- Historical series 1984-1991
- Labour Market Reports - Historical
- Quarterly Supplement to the Labour Market Report - Historical
- Labour Force Survey Women in Northern Ireland - Historical
- Local Area Database - Historical
- Annual Report - Historical
User requested data
Labour market statistics are published regularly throughout the year. We also produce bespoke tables if users request data that are not already available.
A list of published bespoke tables is available from the User requested data page
Information on user events and consultations is available on the Labour Market Statistics User Engagement page.
ELMS publication schedule
Upcoming publication dates from the Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch, including all Labour Force Survey publications can be found via the publication schedule page
Selected for the Labour Force Survey
If you have been selected to take part in the Labour Force Survey please provide us with a telephone number so that we can reach you.
Due to current government advice regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) we are unable to send an interviewer in person to your address to carry out this study. We can carry out the study over the telephone instead.
Please access the link below which contains more information and the secure link to enter your contact details and we will telephone you.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.