Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) we anticipate that there will be some changes in terms of our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information.
The Labour Force Survey latest results published 17th March 2020
- The NI seasonally adjusted unemployment rate (the proportion of economically active people aged 16+ who were unemployed) for the period November-January 2020 was estimated from the Labour Force Survey at 2.4%, one of the lowest rates on record. The unemployment rate increased over the quarter by 0.1 percentage points (pps) from the lowest rate on record and decreased by 1.1pps over the year. The annual change was statistically significant, i.e. the recorded change exceeded the variability expected from a sample survey of this size and was likely to reflect real change.
- The NI unemployment rate (2.4%) was below the UK rate (3.9%), the European Union (28) rate (6.2%) for December 2019 and the Republic of Ireland rate (4.8%) for December 2019.
- The proportion of people aged 16 to 64 in work (the employment rate) decreased over the quarter by 0.1pps and increased over the year by 1.3pps to 72.3%, one of the highest rates on record. Although recent changes were not statistically significant, the employment rate was significantly above rates in 2018.
- The economic inactivity rate (the proportion of people aged from 16 to 64 who were not working and not seeking or available to work) was unchanged over the quarter and decreased over the year by 0.5pps to one of the lowest rates on record (25.9%). Although the annual change was not statistically significant, the economic inactivity rate was significantly below rates in 2017.
Labour Market Report
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Monthly
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Quarterly
- Labour Force Survey time series
- Work Quality tables - April 2019
- Tables from the Quarterly Supplement
- Tables from the Annual Report 2018
- Draft PfG
- Historical series 1984-1991
- Labour Market Reports - Historical
- Quarterly Supplement to the Labour Market Report - Historical
- Labour Force Survey Women in Northern Ireland - Historical
- Local Area Database - Historical
- Annual Report - Historical
User requested data
Labour market statistics are published regularly throughout the year. We also produce bespoke tables if users request data that are not already available.
A list of published bespoke tables is available from the User requested data page
ELMS publication schedule
Upcoming publication dates from the Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch, including all Labour Force Survey publications, can be found here.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.