Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) we anticipate that there will be some changes in terms of our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information. From April 2020 and until further notice, the labour market report will be published on the NISRA website at 7am, a change from the standard 9.30am release time.
The Labour Force Survey latest results published 19th May 2020
- The latest NI seasonally adjusted unemployment rate (the proportion of economically active people aged 16+ who were unemployed) for the period January-March 2020 was estimated from the Labour Force Survey at 2.4%. The unemployment rate was unchanged over the quarter and decreased by 0.5pps (percentage points) over the year. Although recent changes were not statistically significant (i.e. the recorded changes did not exceed the variability expected from a sample survey of this size), the unemployment rate was significantly below rates in late 2018.
- The NI unemployment rate (2.4%) was below the UK rate (3.9%), the European Union (27) rate (6.5%) for February 2020 and the Republic of Ireland rate (5.4%) for March 2020.
- The proportion of people aged 16 to 64 in work (the employment rate) was unchanged over the quarter and increased over the year by 1.1pps to 72.4%. Although recent changes were not statistically significant, the employment rate was significantly above rates in late 2018.
- The economic inactivity rate (the proportion of people aged 16 to 64 who were not working and not seeking or available to work) was unchanged over the quarter and decreased over the year by 0.7pps to 25.8%. Although recent changes were not statistically significant, the economic inactivity rate was significantly below rates in early 2018.
Labour Market Report
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Monthly
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Quarterly
- Labour Force Survey time series
- Work Quality tables - April 2019
- Tables from the Quarterly Supplement
- Tables from the Annual Report 2018
- Draft PfG
- Self-employment in Northern Ireland 2019
- Economic Inactivity in Northern Ireland 2018
- Labour Force Survey Topic Papers
- Historical series 1984-1991
- Labour Market Reports - Historical
- Quarterly Supplement to the Labour Market Report - Historical
- Labour Force Survey Women in Northern Ireland - Historical
- Local Area Database - Historical
- Annual Report - Historical
User requested data
Labour market statistics are published regularly throughout the year. We also produce bespoke tables if users request data that are not already available.
A list of published bespoke tables is available from the User requested data page
ELMS publication schedule
Upcoming publication dates from the Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch, including all Labour Force Survey publications, can be found here.
Selected for the Labour Force Survey
If you have been selected to take part in the Labour Force Survey please provide us with a telephone number so that we can reach you.
Due to current government advice regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) we are unable to send an interviewer in person to your address to carry out this study. We can carry out the study over the telephone instead.
Please click on the secure link below to enter your contact details and we will telephone you.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.