The Labour Force Survey latest results published 16th April 2019
- The latest NI seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for the period December-February 2019 was estimated from the Labour Force Survey at 3.0%. The unemployment rate decreased over the quarter by 0.5 percentage points (pps) and decreased by 0.4pps over the year. Neither the annual nor quarterly change were statistically significant, i.e. the recorded changes did not exceed the variability expected from a sample survey of this size.
- The NI unemployment rate (3.0%) was below the UK rate (3.9%), the European Union (6.5%) and the Republic of Ireland (5.3%) rates for January 2019.
- Over half (55.8%) of those unemployed in NI were long-term unemployed (i.e. unemployed for one year or more), compared to 26.2% in the UK.
- The employment rate (71.2%) increased over the quarter by 1.4pps and over the year by 1.8pps to the highest on record. The change in the quarterly employment rate was statistically significant over the quarter i.e. the recorded change exceeded the variability expected from a sample survey of this size and is likely to reflect real change.
- The economic inactivity rate (26.6%) decreased over the quarter by 1.0pps and over the year by 1.5pps to one of the lowest rates on record. Neither the annual nor quarterly change were statistically significant, i.e. the recorded changes did not exceed the variability expected from a sample survey of this size.
Labour Market Report
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Monthly
- Latest tables from the Labour Force Survey - Quarterly
- Work Quality tables - April 2019
- Tables from the Quarterly Supplement
- Tables from the Annual Report 2017
- Quarterly Supplement April-June 2018
- Labour Force Survey Annual Report 2017
- Women in Northern Ireland 2018
- Labour Force Survey Annual Report 2018
- Key data historical series
- Labour Market Reports - Historical
- Quarterly Supplement to the Labour Market Report - Historical
- Labour Force Survey women in Northern Ireland - Historical
- Local area database - Historical
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.