The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 5 May 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 5 May 2023 (week 18) was 298, 41 less than the previous week and 17 more than the 2018-2022 5-year average (281).
- Twelve deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 18 of 2023, two less than the previous week. These represented 4.0% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,275 by 5 May 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 5 May 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.7%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,283 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 5 May 2023 (including those registered up to and including 10 May 2023).
- At time of reporting, seven Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 5 May.
- Of these 5,283 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,708 (70.2%) took place in hospital, 1,077 (20.4%) in care homes and 498 (9.4%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 24 November 2023 01 December 2023
- Census 2021 update 30 November 2023