The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 31 March 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 31 March 2023 (week 13) was 306, 62 less than the previous week and 21 more than the 2018-2022 5-year average (327).
- Fifteen deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 13 of 2023, staying the same as the previous week. These represented 4.9% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,220 by 31 March 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 31 March 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,213 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 24 March 2023 (including those registered up to and including 29 March 2023).
- At time of reporting, four Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 24 March.
- Of these 5,213 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,651 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,069 (20.5%) in care homes and 493 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 24 November 2023 01 December 2023
- Digital Skills in Northern Ireland 2022/23 30 November 2023
- Census 2021 update 30 November 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 17 November 2023 24 November 2023