The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 3 March 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 3 March 2023 (week 9) was 319, 23 less than the previous week and 21 less than the 2018-2022 5-year average (340).
- Eleven deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 9 of 2023, two more than the previous week. These represented 3.4% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,189 by 3 March 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 3 March 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,192 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 3 March 2023 (including those registered up to and including 8 March 2023).
- At time of reporting, six Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 3 March.
- Of these 5,192 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,633 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,066 (20.5%) in care homes and 493 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 1 December 2023 08 December 2023
- Winter Mortality in Northern Ireland 2022/23 07 December 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023