The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 10 March 2023 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 10 March 2023 (week 10) was 334, 15 more than the previous week and seven less than the 2018-2022 5-year average (341).
- Eight deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 10 of 2023, three less than the previous week. These represented 2.4% of all deaths registered in that week.
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 5,197 by 10 March 2023.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 10 March 2023, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.6%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (74.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon District had a higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3%) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3%).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 5,198 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 10 March 2023 (including those registered up to and including 15 March 2023).
- At time of reporting, five Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 10 March.
- Of these 5,198 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,638 (70.0%) took place in hospital, 1,067 (20.5%) in care homes and 493 (9.5%) at residential addresses, hospices or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Digital Skills in Northern Ireland 2022/23 30 November 2023
- Census 2021 update 30 November 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 17 November 2023 24 November 2023
- PPS publishes latest statistical bulletin on cases involving sexual offences 23 November 2023