The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 8 October 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 8 October 2021 (week 40) was 330, 50 less than the previous week (380) and 16 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (314).
- Twenty-eight deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 40 of 2021, accounting for 8.5% of all deaths registered in that week. This is a decrease of 20 from the previous week. The weekly total is similar to the level last seen at the beginning of August 2021 (week 31) when 31 deaths had Covid-19 mentioned on the death certificate. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,501 by 8 October 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 8 October 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.4%; female 47.6%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 1 October 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.0%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.6%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,512 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 8 October 2021 (including those registered up to and including 13 October). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 8 October was 2,585 (see page 16 for definitions).
- Thirty Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 8 October, a decrease of three from the previous week.
Of these 3,512 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,389 (68.0%) occurred in hospital3, 843 (24.0%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 266 (7.6%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 26 November 2021 03 December 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 19 November 2021 26 November 2021
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2021 Quarter 3 25 November 2021
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): July to September 2021 25 November 2021