The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 7 May 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 7 May 2021 (week 18) was 270, 21 less than the previous week (291) and four less than the 2016-2020 5 year average (274).
- Three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 18 of 2021, accounting for 1.1% of all deaths registered in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,960 by 7 May 2021. This is the lowest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in a week since the week ending 2 October 2020.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 7 May 2021, males and females accounted for equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.0%, females: 50.0%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.3%; female 48.7%).
- Over the year to 7 May 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.2%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 2,961 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 7 May 2021 (including those registered up to and including 12 May). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 7 May was 2,147.
- Two Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 7 May, a decrease of one death from the previous week and continuing the general downward trend since the peak of 179 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15 January.
- Of these 2,961 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,959 (66.2%) occurred in hospital, 772 (26.1%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 216 (7.3%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 786 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 177 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the latest weekly deaths bulletin webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com