The bulletin and tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 6 August 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 6 August 2021 (week 31) was 342, 49 more than the previous week (293) and 69 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (273).
- Thirty-one deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 31 of 2021, accounting for 9.1% of all deaths registered in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 3,046 by 6 August 2021. This exceeded the previous week (18), and is the largest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in one week since the week ending 12 March (32).
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 6 August 2021, males and females accounted for equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.0%, females: 50.0%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.3%; female 48.7%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 6 August 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.8%) of all deaths and three-quarters (75.9%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,056 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 6 August 2021 (including those registered up to and including 11 August). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 6 August was 2,217.
- Twenty-six Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 6 August, an increase of four deaths from the previous week.
- Of these 3,056 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,031 (66.5%) occurred in hospital, 784 (25.7%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 227 (7.4%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 798 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 183 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Digital Skills in Northern Ireland 2022/23 30 November 2023
- Census 2021 update 30 November 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 17 November 2023 24 November 2023
- PPS publishes latest statistical bulletin on cases involving sexual offences 23 November 2023