The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 5 November 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 5 November 2021 (week 44) was 371, 51 more than the previous week (320) and 56 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (302).
- Fifty-nine deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 44 of 2021, accounting for 15.9% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of nine from the previous week. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,700 by 5 November 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 5 November 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.3%, females: 49.7%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.9%; female 47.1%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 5 November 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.0%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.2%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.1% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,726 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 5 November 2021 (including those registered up to and including 10 November). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 5 November was 2,744.
- Fifty-four Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 5 November.
- Of these 3,726 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,560 (68.7%) occurred in hospital, 856 (23.0%) occurred in care homes, 15 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 295 (7.9%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 19 November 2021 26 November 2021
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2021 Quarter 3 25 November 2021
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): July to September 2021 25 November 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 12 November 2021 19 November 2021