The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 29th January 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 29th January 2021 (week 4) was 437, 37 less than in week 3 of 2021 (474) and 78 more than the 5 year average (359).
- 137 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 4 of 2021, accounting for 31.4% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,448 by 29th January 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19th March 2020) to 29th January 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.8%, females: 50.2%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.2%; female 49.8%).
- From 19th March 2020 (the start of the pandemic) to 29th January 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.8%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (77.4%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Antrim & Newtownabbey had the highest proportion of Covid-19 related deaths as a proportion of the total deaths registered there over the period 19th March – 29th January 2021 (18.6%).
Date of Death
- There were 2,495 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18th March 2020 to 29th January 2021 (including those registered up to and including 3rd February). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 29th January2 was 1,837 (see page 9 of the bulletin for definitions).
- 124 Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 29th January. This is the second consecutive fall in the occurrence based series since the recent peak of 175 Covid-19 related deaths in the week ending 15th January.
- Of these 2,495 deaths involving Covid-19 1,591 (63.8%) occurred in hospital3, 712 (28.5%) occurred in care homes, 13 (0.5 %) occurred in hospices and 179 (7.2%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 725 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 170 separate establishments.
A dashboard containing some of the key weekly death statistics is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths registrations in Northern Ireland webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 2 April 2021 09 April 2021
- Construction Output Statistics: Q4-2020 08 April 2021
- NI Composite Economic Index Q4 2020 08 April 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 26 March 2021 02 April 2021