The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 29 April 2022 were released at 9.30am today.
Date of registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 29 April 2022 (week 17) was 365, 105 more than the previous week (260) and 26 more than the 2017-2021 5-year average (339).
- Twenty-eight deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 17 of 2022, accounting for 7.7% of all deaths registered in that week, and six more than were registered the previous week (22).
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 4,564 by 29 April 2022.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 29 April 2022, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, males accounted for a higher proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 53.2%; female: 46.8%). (Figure 3).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 29 April 2022, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.3%) of all deaths and almost three-quarters (73.9%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.1% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 4,572 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 29 April 2022 (including those registered up to and including 4 May). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 29 April was 3,421.
- At time of reporting, 15 Covid-19 related deaths had occurred in week ending 29 April.
- Of these 4,572 deaths involving Covid-19, 3,182 (69.6%) occurred in hospital, 974 (21.3%) occurred in care home, and 416 (9.1%) occurred at residential addresses, hospices or another locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com