The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 28 May 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 28 May 2021 (week 21) was 265, 54 less than the previous week and 19 less than the 2016 to 2020 5-year average.
- Three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 21 of 2021, accounting for 1.1% of all deaths registered in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,974 by 28 May 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 28 May 2021, males and females accounted for equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.0%, females: 50.0%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.3%; female 48.7%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 28 May 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for over three-quarters (76.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.0% and 8.4% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
2,975 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 28 May 2021 (including those registered up to and including 2 June). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 28 May was 2,153.
- Three Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 21 May, a decrease of one death from the previous week.
- Of these 2,975 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,971 (66.3%) occurred in hospital, 774 (26.0%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 216 (7.3%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the latest weekly deaths bulletin webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Register and Employment Survey 2020 03 August 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 23 July 2021 30 July 2021
- NISRA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Opinion Survey Phases 1 to 12 Results 29 July 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 16 July 2021 23 July 2021