The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 24 September 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 24 September 2021 (week 37) was 351, 23 less than the previous week (374) and 55 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (296).
- Fifty-five deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 38 of 2021, accounting for 15.7% of all deaths registered in that week. This is a decrease of eight from the previous week. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,425 by 24 September 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 24 September 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.3%; female 47.7%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 24 September 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.0%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.7%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4 and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,443 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 24 September 2021 (including those registered up to and including 29 September). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 24 September2 was 2,538.
- Thirty-eight Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 24 September, a decrease of 31 from the previous week.
Of these 3,443 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,345 (68.1%) occurred in hospital3, 829 (24.1%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 255 (7.4%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 17 June 2022 24 June 2022
- Public Prosecution Service (PPS) publishes 2021-22 statistical bulletin 23 June 2022
- Labour Market Statistics Newsletter - June 2022 17 June 2022
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 June 2022 17 June 2022