The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 2 April 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Please note, due to the impact of the Easter holiday period on data collation times the release covering the week ending 2nd April will consist of tables and Statistical Press Release only.
- The provisional number of total deaths from all causes registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 2 April 2021 (week 13, 2021) was 288, 19 less than in week 12, and 10 less than the 5-year average (2016-2020) of 298.
- Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate of 12 (4.2%) of the 288 deaths registered in week 13, a decrease of 7 from the previous week’s 19 Covid-19 related deaths. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered to 2 April 2021 has now reached 2,917.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 2 April 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.9%, females: 50.1%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.1%; female 48.9%).
- Persons aged 75 and over accounted for 76.3% of the 2,917 Covid‑19 related deaths registered between 19 March 2020 and 2 April 2021
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.5% respectively). Conversely, Ards & North Down and Fermanagh & Omagh both have relatively low shares of registered Covid-19 related deaths when compared to the proportion of Northern Ireland deaths registered in those areas (2.3 and 2.5 percentage points respectively lower than their share of all deaths).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- The total number of Covid-19 related deaths that occurred up to 2 April 2021 has now reached 2,919 (including those registered up to and including 7 April). The comparative number of deaths reported daily by the Department of Health to 2nd April 2021 was 2,116.
- 10 deaths involving Covid-19 occurred in the week 27th March to 2nd April 2021, the lowest number since the week ending 9th October 2020.
- Of the 2,919 Covid-19 related deaths, 1,920 (65.8%) took place in hospital, 770 (26.4%) in care homes, 14 (0.5%) in hospices and 215 (7.4%) at residential addresses or other locations.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the latest weekly deaths bulletin webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org