The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 15th January 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Key Points – Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 15th January 2021 (week 2) was 443, 125 less than in week 1 of 2021 and 44 more than the 5 year average (Table 1). The number of deaths in week 1 may have been impacted by GRO closures over the Christmas period (see page 3 for further detail).
- 153 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 2 of 2021, accounting for 34.5% of all deaths in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,129 by 15th January 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19th March 2020) to 15th January 2021, males and females accounted for similar proportions of all deaths registered (males: 49.7%, females: 50.3%) and Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 50.3%; female 49.7%). (Figure 3).
- From 19th March 2020 (from the start of the pandemic) to 15th January 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for three-fifths (65.8%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (77.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths (Figure 4).
- Those with an address in Belfast LGD accounted for 460 (21.6%) of the 2,129 Covid-19 related deaths registered up to 15th January 2021 (Figure 6).
A dashboard containing some of the key weekly death statistics is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from Weekly Deaths | Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (nisra.gov.uk)
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases please email email@example.com
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 26 February 2021 05 March 2021
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): October-December 2020 04 March 2021
- Drug Related Deaths in Northern Ireland, 2009-2019 02 March 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 19 February 2021 26 February 2021