The bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 14 May 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
Please note that going forward the tables and press release on weekly deaths will continue as normal, but a full bulletin will only be produced on weeks where the number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in the reference week is 5 or more.
Date of Registration
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 14 May 2021 (week 19) was 326, 56 more than the previous week (270) and three more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (323).
- Seven deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 19 of 2021, accounting for 2.1% of all deaths registered in that week and bringing the total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic to 2,967 by 14 May 2021. This is a rise after week 18 had the lowest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered (3) since the week ending 2 October 2020.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 14 May 2021, males and females accounted for equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.0%, females: 50.0%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.4%; female 48.6%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 14 May 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.2%) of all deaths and over three-quarters (76.1%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.0% and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 2,968 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 14 May 2021 (including those registered up to and including 19 May). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 14 May was 2,149 (see page 16 for definitions).
- Six Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 14 May, an increase of four deaths from the previous week.
- Of these 2,968 deaths involving Covid-19, 1,964 (66.2%) occurred in hospital, 774 (26.1%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.5%) occurred in hospices and 216 (7.3%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 788 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 177 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The bulletin and other related documents are available from the latest weekly deaths bulletin webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org