The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 10 September 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 10th September 2021 (week 36) was 377, 37 more than the previous week (340) and 89 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (288).
- Sixty-one deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 36 of 2021, accounting for 16.2% of all deaths registered in that week. This is a decrease of three from the previous week which had the largest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in one week since the week ending 19th February (78). The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,307 by 10 September 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 10 September 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.2%; female 47.8%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 10 September 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.9%) of all deaths and three-quarters (75.0%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.1% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,326 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 10 September 2021 (including those registered up to and including 15 September). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 10 September was 2,445.
- Forty-seven Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 10 September, a decrease of 15 deaths from the previous week.
- Of these 3,326 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,250 (67.6%) occurred in hospital, 815 (24.5%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 247 (7.4%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 1 December 2023 08 December 2023
- Winter Mortality in Northern Ireland 2022/23 07 December 2023
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2023 Quarter 3 05 December 2023
- Highest qualification level tables 2022 05 December 2023