The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 1 October 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 1 October 2021 (week 39) was 380, 29 more than the previous week (351) and 86 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (294).
- Forty-eight deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 39 of 2021, accounting for 12.6% of all deaths registered in that week. This is a decrease of seven from the previous week. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,473 by 1 October 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 1 October 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.3%; female 47.7%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 1 October 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.0%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.5%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.4% and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.4% and 6.6% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,476 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 1 October 2021 (including those registered up to and including 5 October). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 1 October was 2,565.
- Twenty-nine Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 1 October, a decrease of 12 from the previous week.
- Of these 3,476 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,367 (68.1%) occurred in hospital, 836 (24.1%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 259 (7.5%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 8 October 2021 15 October 2021
- Labour Market Report October 2021 12 October 2021
- 08 October 2021
- Disability Employment Gap in Northern Ireland 2020 07 October 2021