The report provides a variety of estimates including; overnight trips and the associated number of nights and expenditure, rooms sold in commercial accommodation, visitor attraction visits, tourism employment and cruise ship visits.
The key points are:
- The largest number of estimated overnight trips in 2018 was to Belfast LGD (1.7 million). A third of overnight trips to Northern Ireland were to Belfast LGD (33% of all overnight trips). Causeway Coast and Glens had the second largest number of estimated overnight trips (1.0 million);
- Belfast and Antrim & Newtownabbey LGDs attracted the highest relative proportion of business trips; accounting for approximately 15% of all overnight trips in each of the LGDs;
- An estimated 1.1 million hotel rooms were sold in Belfast LGD in 2018, the highest of any area. Derry and Strabane LGD was the second highest with an estimated 177 thousand hotel rooms sold;
Taken together with other data sources and over a longer time period, statistical estimates point towards an upward trend in tourism activity in Northern Ireland between 2013 and 2018. This may not be the case for each Local Government District, and all available sources should be taken together to provide a fuller picture and indication of tourism activity at LGD level.
- Labour Market Report November 2019 12 November 2019
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings 2019 29 October 2019
- PPS publishes new statistical bulletin 24 October 2019
- Overview of Northern Ireland Trade with Great Britain 23 October 2019