The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 27 August 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 27 August 2021 (week 34) was 299, 44 less than the previous week (343) and 29 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (270).
- Fifty-three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 34 of 2021, accounting for 17.7% of all deaths registered in that week and the largest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in one week since the week ending 26 February (55). The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,182 by 27 August 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 27 August 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.9%; female 48.1%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 27 August 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.9%) of all deaths and three-quarters (75.5%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.2% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,200 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 27 August 2021 (including those registered up to and including 1 September). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 27 August was 2,340.
- Fifty-two Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 27 August, an increase of eight deaths from the previous week.
- Of these 3,200 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,144 (67.0%) occurred in hospital, 802 (25.1%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 240 (7.5%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 September 2021 17 September 2021
- Labour Market Report September 2021 14 September 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 3 September 2021 10 September 2021
- 03 September 2021