The tables containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 20 August 2021 was released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 20 August 2021 (week 33) was 343, 12 more than the previous week (331) and 64 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (279).
- Forty-three deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 33 of 2021, accounting for 12.5% of all deaths registered in that week and the largest number of Covid-19 related deaths registered in one week since the week ending 26 February (55). The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,129 by 20 August 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 20 August 2021, males and females accounted for equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.1%, females: 49.9%) and similar proportion of Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 51.7%; female 48.3%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 20 August 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (64.8%) of all deaths and three-quarters (75.5%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.1% and 8.2% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.5% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,140 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 20 August 2021 (including those registered up to and including 25 August). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 20 August was 2,291.
- Thirty-six Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 20 August, a decrease of two deaths from the previous week.
- Of these 3,140 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,097 (66.8%) occurred in hospital, 794 (25.3%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 235 (7.5%) occurred at residential addresses or another location.
- The 808 deaths in care homes and hospices involved 184 separate establishments.
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly deaths bulletin – week ending 10 September 2021 17 September 2021
- Labour Market Report September 2021 14 September 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 3 September 2021 10 September 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 27 August 2021 03 September 2021