The tables and bulletin containing data on deaths registered for the week ending 15 October 2021 were released at 9.30am today.
- The provisional number of total deaths registered in Northern Ireland in the week ending 15 October 2021 (week 41) was 337, seven more than the previous week (330) and 47 more than the 2016-2020 5 year average (290).
- Thirty-eight deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate were registered in week 41 of 2021, accounting for 11.3% of all deaths registered in that week. This is an increase of ten from the previous week. The weekly total is similar to the level last seen in mid-August 2021 (week 32) when 40 deaths had Covid-19 mentioned on the death certificate. The total number of Covid-19 related deaths registered from the start of the pandemic was 3,539 by 15 October 2021.
- From the start of the pandemic (from the first Covid-19 related death being registered on 19 March 2020) to 15 October 2021, males and females accounted for relatively equal proportions of all deaths registered (males: 50.2%, females: 49.8%), however, a slightly higher proportion of males accounted for Covid-19 related deaths registered (males: 52.5%; female 47.5%).
- Since the beginning of the pandemic to 15 October 2021, the 75 years and over age-group accounted for almost two-thirds (65.0%) of all deaths and three-quarters (74.5%) of Covid-19 related deaths.
- Over the period of the pandemic, Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon and Mid-Ulster Local Government Districts have had higher proportions of Covid-19 related deaths (12.3% and 8.3% respectively) compared with their share of all deaths in Northern Ireland (10.3% and 6.7% respectively).
Covid-19 deaths based on date of death
- 3,554 deaths mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate have occurred in total from 18 March 2020 to 15 October 2021 (including those registered up to and including 20 October). The comparative number of deaths reported by the Department of Health (DoH) to 8 October was 2,614.
- Thirty-five Covid-19 related deaths occurred in week ending 15 October, the same as the previous week.
Of these 3,554 deaths involving Covid-19, 2,423 (68.2%) occurred in hospital, 846 (23.8%) occurred in care homes, 14 (0.4%) occurred in hospices and 271 (7.6%) occurred at residential addresses or another location
A weekly deaths dashboard is also available.
The tables and other related documents are available from the weekly deaths webpage
If you would like to receive alerts about Vital Statistics releases, please email email@example.com
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 19 November 2021 26 November 2021
- Registrar General Quarterly Tables 2021 Quarter 3 25 November 2021
- Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): July to September 2021 25 November 2021
- Weekly Deaths Bulletin – week ending 12 November 2021 19 November 2021