The Long-term International Migration Statistics for Northern Ireland (2017) were published on 12 September 2018.
As part of its annual publication of Mid-year Population Estimates, NISRA produces official migration estimates for Northern Ireland which reflect the estimated flows of people to and from Northern Ireland from 1 July to 30 June each year. The latest of these estimates were released in June 2017 and relate to the period mid-2016 to mid-2017. This release provides a contextual summary of the most recent Population and Migration Estimates for Northern Ireland, with specific focus on the international migration element of those statistics, and also supplements the official migration estimates by collating and reporting on a number of administrative statistics that provide some insight into recent changes/trends in international migration to/from Northern Ireland.
The key findings are:
People who came here to live
- In the year ending mid-2017, 22,100 people came here to live (7.3 per cent less than in year ending mid-2016). More than half (11,300; 51.2 per cent) of the people concerned were from outside the UK (i.e. an international immigrant), while the remainder (10,800; 48.8 per cent) were from the rest of the UK.
- The number of people who came here to live from outside the UK fell by 13.0 per cent (1,700 people) between mid-2016 and mid-2017. In the same period, the number of people arriving to live in Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK decreased by less than 50 people (0.4 per cent).
- The vast majority of inflows were aged 16 to 39 (61.2 per cent of inflows from the rest of the UK; 64.3 per cent of international inflows; and 62.8 per cent of total inflows).
- In the calendar year to December 2017, the top three most common countries of previous residence for international inflows to Northern Ireland were Republic of Ireland, Romania and Poland. The most common reasons for international immigrants moving here were work (44.7 per cent), followed by family (27.6 per cent) and education (14.2 per cent).
People who left here to live elsewhere
- In the year ending mid-2017, the number of people leaving Northern Ireland to live elsewhere (20,900) decreased by 6.5 per cent. Some 51.3 per cent of the people concerned (10,700 people) went to live outside the UK while the remainder (48.7 per cent; 10,200) moved to the rest of the UK.
- Between mid-2016 and mid-2017 the number of people who left to live outside the UK decreased by 7.0 per cent to 10,700 people.
- The number of people who left to live in the rest of the UK fell by 5.9 per cent between mid-2016 and mid-2017 to 10,200 people.
- As was the case with inflows, the vast majority of outflows were aged 16 to 39 years (77.6 per cent of outflows to the rest of the UK; 69.5 per cent of international outflows; and 73.5 per cent of total outflows).
- As the number of people who moved here to live in the year ending mid-2017 exceeded the number who left (22,100 and 20,900 respectively), this resulted in net inward migration of 1,200 people. This population increase of 1,200 people due to migration can be equally attributed to net inward UK (i.e. 10,800 inflows and 10,200 outflows) and international migration (i.e. 11,300 inflows and 10,700 outflows). This is the fourth successive year that there has been a net inward migration of people to Northern Ireland.
- Six out of the 11 Local Government Districts (LGDs) experienced net inward international migration in the year ending mid-2017 while the remaining five LGDs experienced a net outflow of international migrants. Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon LGD had the highest level (700 people) of net inward international migration while Belfast LGD had the highest level of net outward international migration (600 people).
- Six of the 11 LGDs experienced net outward migration to the UK with Mid Ulster LGD experiencing the most at 100 people. All the other LGDs experienced net inward migration from the UK with Belfast LGD experiencing the highest (300 people).
Further information, including tables of statistics and a statistical bulletin, is available here
- Labour Market Report November 2018 13 November 2018
- Registrar General Northern Ireland Annual Report 2017 07 November 2018
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings 2018 25 October 2018
- 2021 Census Outputs Strategy Consultation for Northern Ireland 18 October 2018